Thursday, September 8, 2011

Primers for everyday wear! Hi and Lows


Hiho~ I know I havent made much of a post lately hahaha. I guess most of my posts as of late has been talking about Gundam plastic models! Ahahaha so I guess its bound time for me to talk about another thing that I ALSO and spends loads of money on ._. which I really shouldnt lawl....
hurpderp and with convention season coming to a start come this fall, cosplayers and con go-ers are starting to re organize their makeup kits in preparation for cons and different events. Some not really wanting to break the bank but still wanting to look good - duh, who doesnt?! So, why dont we start with the basics...lmao. and I mean literrally the 'base' for keeping your eye make up lasting long without having to break your bank!

I'm going to be talking about different EYE SHADOW PRIMERS on different price points! 8D since we all know with the economy now a days a lot of people are learning to cut back on a few items that they consider luxury products and we all know women spend hords and hords of money on cosmetics on the daily! But just because something is cheap doesnt mean you have to sacrifice ALOT. These products I've tried on my own - spent my own money on it and tried them all out for sheer curiosity. So basically starting from the cheapest to the 'more pricey' ones....

I'm making this post also because a lot of people have asked me about the product I mostly use everyday versus my go to products when were at a convention, concert or photoshoot setting...To be honest, I bring a lot of these products that I use everyday to shoots/concerts and cons with me. Depending on what the event is demanding, clearly I'd pick different primers and etc...

First up! ELF (Eyes.Lips.Face) Eye Primer! This baby sells for $1 and can be found at your local Target now or you can purchase them via ELF's website, and I do know that 'styles for less' carries ELF and LA Color products now too but I'm not too sure how extensively they carry ELF products....



Now onto the product!
Texture: The first thing I did notice with this product was when I first opened it that it IS quite runny. It wasnt as creamy or 'mousy' in consistency that I had hoped for and it came in a lighter beige color in comparison to other primers I've tried but that doesn't mean I have to already give this a bad rep!

It felt more like...butter o_O...smooth and somewhat milky/liquidy but applies on clear or blends with your lid color anyway. So dont even worry about the color.

Packaging: I cant say I'm a big fan of this type of packaging. With the whole wand applicator thing and bottle, as I feel like theres always wasted product in packaging like these since theres only so much dept the wand can reach to retrieve the product. And it comes in a glass acrylic? container so its not like I can just cut it open or break it open... lol....
but honestly, you're not gonna really miss out much considering its only $1 >8D so its really not worth the battle trying to grab every last drop of it XD....

Staying Power: As far as creasing and staying power goes. I've worn this for a regular 8 hr work shift and I can say its done its job.

As far as color saturation and bright ness goes....well thats a whole 'nother story. Coz honestly, color vibrancy is the last thing I'd be looking for from these primers, I mostly wear them to get the lasting power. Not so much as to getting the vibrant colors from them. If you want your colors to pop without breaking the bank. I suggest getting a cream gel liner or cream stick (any brand - NYX JUmbo pencils are amazing and cheap) and use a darker or lighter shade as a base and it really helps the colors pop out more. So just apply the cream base color underneath first, then your choice of eyeshadow over to get it to really pop.

Second up is the L'oriel DeCrease! Retails for about $8-9 in Walmart in CA. (prices vary depending on where you are....)

Packaging: The packaging on this can be as bad as the Urban Decay Primer Potion. I dont believe in shitty packaging. The way its made is it gets wider at the bottom and the middle gives you a skinny neck till you hit bottom. The wand is a doe tip applicator that probably doesnt even really reach all the way to the bottom or even around the edges to pick up the rest of the product so in the end you're really left with ALOT of left over product but you're wand is pretty much useless in trying to get at it. I even tried as far as picking at it with a cotton tip or a orange wood stick to pry out as much product. But in the end its really not worth it.
Its also made of acrylic plastic so its a bitch to try and break without breaking your table or tile counter hahaha!

Texture: love the texture on this one. Its not runny at all, it actually feels light and mouse-like texture. Applies on real well too. Too bad the packaging is such a buzz kill which would hinder me from even thinking of repurchasing it.

Staying Power: Again, went with it for a good 8 hr, and even took it on a trip to LA where it was blisterring hot and well, my makeup stayed in place LOL! Little creasing thats for sure hahaha. I say it does do just as well as any eye primer does. I'd say if you def have oilylids, you shouldnt expect your eye shadow to be perfect to the last 8th hour. I guess I feel like my shadow starts to wear down around hte 5th or 6th hour...but hey for a primer as cheap as this, it does the job well enough. On days when my lids arent as oily, I say it can go the whole way through, 8hr, but do expect it to break down come the 10th hour hahaha! Nothing stays on forever jeez. You shouldnt expect THAT much! hahaha




Now onto NYX Primer Eye shadow! I've reviewed this before but got dumped in a whole bunch of other entries HAHAHA. So I'm just gonna copy and paste it for the most part!

  • It comes in a POT! Versus the Urban Decay Primer Potion which comes with a wand and etc, a lot of people have complained that the packaging isnt very practical, which I personally agree as well
  • Price!!!! :D its under $15! 8DDD I think I paid $10? or $11ish after taxes.
  • After 8 hrs of wear, the eyeshadow still stayed without much creasing. And I used a metallic and matte eyeshadow. And normally I find the metallic shimmer shadows tend to crease faster on my lids. but yeayeah! :D
  • you only need a SMALL amount, a little goes a long way!
  • creamy soft light texture
Cons:
  • Comes in a pot - can be a hygiene issue since most people wouldnt wanna dip their finger into the container, but I like the pot since it caters to makeup artists. When working with clients, I'd simply use a plastic spatula, scoop up a SMALL amount and apply.
but lets go alittle bit more in dept about this product.
the texture is creamy but sometimes its hard to get it out of the pot, some people say to use your fingers, I personally use a concealer flat brush to apply the primer on.

This baby retails for about $12-14. So its alittle bit more on the price-y range. Its definitely not a primer I use on the daily since I like to reserve this and the TooFace one for when I definitely want it to last and i mean, a 18+ hr day at a convention run LMAO ontop of a concert and photoshoots to boot!!!!! So this is definitely my GO TO for Cons and Concets mostly because of the creamy consistency - its thicker and I feel like it grabs onto the shadow powders alot more and it stays on longer.

(OH WHUT THEY HAVE GLITTER?!!Y do i not own this?! XDDD)

Lastly the Two Faced Eyeshadow Primer. Sorry. No photo, so heres a stock photo for you! I lost this primer ahahaha so I wasnt able to take a photo of it /: so I googled one up real quick. Credit is on the photo itself~

Texture: This one I feel is a bit on the runny side if you dont shake the tube up prior to using or let it sit for a while. It tends to seperate itself and can come out in parts /:
ie: oil. then the product. D: uh, do not want.


This primer retails for $18-19 via Sephora. And defintely is the priciest of primers and stands along Urban Decay.

Packaging: aweosme packaging! They didnt make the same mistake as Urban Decay did with their primer potion. I LOVE tube packaging coz you can easily cut that badboy open and extract the products yourself hahaha!

Staying Power: I honestly feel like the staying power is on par with ELF - seeing as the consistency is almost the same.
And unlike the creamy NYX one, I feel like the pigments from the shadow has less to grab onto. this dries on smooth and really does give your lids a nice smooth finish.

not exactly a primer I would reach for when I expect it to last through a convention + concert. It does its job and I mostly use it for a good night out and I want my shadow to last /: or on a photoshoot set. Since you dont really expect it to last throughout the whole day seeing as when your in a shoot, your there for a couple hours then your done. Honestly, the ELF one could have done the job hahaha but theres just something about showing up to a job with 'cheap' looking product that turns alot of models off. Just sayin' hahaha.

If you dont mind dropping the $18 everytime you run out of this, by all means go ahead, but honestly for a 'every day primer' I would still swear by the ELF and the L'oriel one.
Unless of course the ELF isnt just working out for you - as like I said, not everyone has the same skin type /:

So best of luck to you! :o


No comments:

Post a Comment