Wednesday, August 15, 2012

214. Red Hair 2 - Maintenance and Products


o__o I've had more people ask me on tumblr on how to keep and maintain my red hair~ and I always refer them back to my previous post on how I got red hair and how to maintain it, but looking back on it, I guess I never really went into FULL details on products I've used - still use and will never use again?...

First of all; HOW to get red hair:  if your hair is a dark ass black Asian like my hair; good luck getting it this bright in one sitting LOL.
Theres options like using High-Lift colors, but my personal favorite is prelightening aka Bleaching it to insure I get the color I want...

now Maintenance is another story....

Above is pretty much the diagram of what I use to maintain my vibrant red locks ;D
in my previous post I mentioned that I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week and in between that, I use dry shampoo. And when I DO wash my hair - cold water only....
now onto the products:

Shampoo: I previously mentioned I use John Freida glazing red shampoo, but its becoming harder and harder to find it in store tbh, I think John Freida might be discontinuing this line?! I'm not sure...
but if you can't find it in stores, theres still the option of purchasing it online. OR you can do what I do when i can't find this shampoo and cannot be arsed to order one online!

Get a bottle of your choice, preferably a plastic one you wouldn't care about since its going to be stained forever...

Take your favorite CLEAR shampoo (preferably clear so the pigments grab better - also preferably if its COLOR safe or Sulfate free, since Sulfates are what strips your color too) and in your plastic bottle, drop a helping of RED PROTEIN FILLER (their normally $3-4 at your local Sallys Beauty Supply Shop) And your favorite deposit only red dye (RAW, MANIC PANIC, SPLAT...etc) shake till its all mixed together.

Tip: If you insist on getting a red red shampoo and can't find John Freida, Sally's carries Quantum Riverting Reds Color Replenishing Shampoo and Conditioner which actually comes in a very vibrant red shade when dispersed from the bottle, but as a red nazi I still prefer to mix a bit of red filler and manic panic just to really keep it RED *u*

Conditioner: I currently am using the Quantum Riverting Reds Conditioner from Sallys (feel free to do the same; add filler red and red deposit color) I leave it on my hair for a few mins before rinsing it off with Cold Water.

Product I've Used: (loved or hated, I'll list them down here for recommendations if you're interested in the items I've used before) I'll keep updating this list as I find more product and see how they work...but so far, heres what I've stumbled on and have personally used on my head...

  • John Freida Radient Red - Averagely $6.46 (each) Shampoo & Conditioner  
  • Quantum Riveting Reds - Averagely $7.39, $5.50 with a Sallys Card (sign up for newsletter from Sally's to get 25-50% coupons as well!) 
  • Beyond the Zone Street Glaze - product advertises as a glaze shiner to help make your hair shiny and etc and also redeposit color. Don't waste your money /: this doesnt help add softness or anything at all, since I used it thinking it would substitute for conditioner, or something since I don't want to drown my hair in products and I don't want to do a conditioner THEN a glaze shine over it. Yeah, don't bother, your better off doing what I was doing above lol. And if your hair is dead from bleaching prior or just everyday wear and tear on your hair....refer to product below
  • Tresemme Nourishing Rituals Cashmere Touch Serum - Just for the ends if your hair is dry from having to retouch with dye and heat styling, its pretty lightweight and I haven't had any problems with it fading my color at all! This might be a dupe for Ion's Cashmere Touch serum as well.
  • Suave Dry Shampoo - I've tried the Tresemme one and the Got2be dry shampoo and nothing works as well as this baby. I would avoid the FOAM versions of 'dry' shampoos even if they say 'no water' its still pretty well )': and doesn't work that well. If your ends or the shaft of your hair is oily as fuck, you CAN use it, but I wouldn't recommend the foam versions on your roots, the dry spray version is also amazing at giving you volume lol
  • SPLAT LUSCIOUS RASPBERRY - retails about $10 at most local drug stores in the US...stains EVERYTHING terribly =A=ll and it gives your hair a more PINK shade than a true red. 
  • Feria - MY HOLY GRAIL OF ALL RED HAIR DYES LOL. FOREVER DEDICATED TO THE "POWER REDS" LINE *u* I always always always get the box version, I've tried using the one you get at beauty supply shops and I dont know, it just doesnt give me the same result, it could be the serum that comes with the box. And my go to shade in the Feria line is always RUBY RUSH.
  • Ion Color - I use the 7RR from the Ion Hair Color Line when I cannot find Feria anywhere 
  • ShimmerLights Red - Wouldn't recommend it, its meant for brunettes with red undertones. Not true red head.
Any questions or comments, leave them on the comment box below and I'll try to keep this post updated as well.








No comments:

Post a Comment